When stumps are too small, not strong enough or located in the wrong place, deadmen are used to anchor guy lines on haulers. For safety reasons, all deadmen must be installed correctly.
- Dig the trench at right angles to the pull of the guy line.
- It must be at least 4 m deep and about 7 m long. The notch stops the logs being pulled straight up.
- Use green logs at least 50 cm in diameter. Do not use old logs or bundles of smaller diameter logs as the rope may cut through them.
- Compact as you backfill.
- Do not enter the trench.
- Lay a strop in the trench before a log is put in. The strength of the deadmen strop should be at least equal to the guy rope.
- The two strop ends must be equal so that the tension is similar on both sides when shackled.