Logging tracks may need water controls installed or reinstated immediately after harvest. The amount of rehab depends on the terrain and the soil type. Tracks can rapidly erode and be a major source of sediment in waterways.
- Track has closely spaced cut-outs.
- Cut-outs direct water into slash.
- Cut-outs go across the entire track and are deep enough that water does not go past them.
- This track should have cut-outs.
- The water will continue to scour the soft ash soil.
- Sediment will continue to enter a nearby waterway.
- Spreading slash is a good way to reduce erosion especially where cut-outs cannot work e.g. in gully bottoms.
- Slash slows water down and traps sediment.